SJA GENERAL MEETING 14/9/23
7 pm CWA Rooms Toallo St Pambula.
THANK YOU FRIENDS FOR ATTENDING TONIGHT. WE ALWAYS APPRECIATE PEOPLE COMING ALONG. AND THANK YOU WENDY WAIT FOR COMING ALONG EARLY AND SETTING UP THE ROOM.
MAY I START BY INTRODUCING MY IMMEDIATE COLLEAGUES – TREASURER PETER GORTON AND SECRETARY RUSSELL JENNINGS. RUSSELL AND PETER DO GREAT WORK FOR THE SJA AND I VERY MUCH VALUE THEIR SUPPORT.
CHAIR POINTS OUT FACILITIES
– ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY ( CHAIR )
LET US PAUSE FOR A MOMENT TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE TRUE OWNERS OF THE COUNTRY ON WHICH WE MEET, THE PEOPLE OF THE YUIN NATION, WHO HAVE LOVED AND CARED FOR THIS PART OF THE COUNTRY FOR TENS OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS. I SPEAK PERSONALLY IN HOPING THAT ALL THE PEOPLE OF AUSTRALIA CAN FIND THE HEART AND COMPASSION IN SUPPORTING THEIR CALL FOR A VOICE IN THE COMING REFERENDUM.
Present:, Karen Tarpey, Peter Reid, Russell Jennings (Minutes) , Wendy Wait, Penny Oakes, Susan McGee, Peter Gorton, Jacob Shields, Myoshin Kelly, Edwin Kelly, Colin McPherson, Robin McPherson, Gavin Bell, Helene Garrett, Stephen Grealy, Olwen Morris,
– APOLOGIES ( SECRETARY )
Mick Brosnan , Toby Jennings, Janet Reynolds, Roz Hansen, Wendy Gorton, Jo Riley Fitzer, Denise Perry , Jeff Knowles, Ann Wykes, Dave Gallan.
MICK BROSNAN ON A WELL EARNED HOLIDAY
– MIGHT I ASK IF WE HAVE ANY NEW MEMBERS OR ATTENDEES TONIGHT? IF SO, AND IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE, PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF AND PERHAPS TELL US WHAT BRINGS YOU ALONG.
– CORRESPONDENCE SENT AND RECIEVED (SECRETARY)
Numerous emails and limited mail, usually bank statements.
– CHAIR MINUTES FOR JULY AGM AND GENERAL MEETING HAVE BEEN CIRCULATED TO ALL MEMBERS. MAY I CALL ON SOMEBODY TO ACCEPT THOSE MINUTES AS A TRUE REFLECTION OF THE MEETING ?
Moved Peter Gorton, Seconded Wendy Wait.
– TREASURER’S REPORT (TREASURER) Read and circulated to members via email
Moved: Peter Gorton Seconded: Gavin Bell
Treasurer motion “that SJA Support Yes23 advertising campaign” with $500 donation from $950 raised to date: Moved Peter Gorton Seconded: Penny Oakes.
– SUB GROUP REPORTS BY CONVENORS: HAVE BEEN RECEIVED BY THE SECRETARY AND CIRCULATED TO ALL MEMBERS. I WILL TAKE THEM AS READ AND ACCEPTED UNLESS ANYBODY HAS ANY QUESTIONS FOR THE CONVENORS OF THE SUB-GROUPS………..
BEGA VALLEY ADVOCATES FOR TIMOR-LESTE ( DAVE GALLAN )
YOUTH SUB-GROUP ( JACOB SHIELDS )
INDIGENOUS AFFAIRS ( OLWEN MORRIS )
BEGA GROUP (JAN REYNOLDS)
REFUGEES / MULTICULTURAL ( GAVIN BELL )
FORCES FOR NATURE ( WENDY WAIT )
HOUSING AND HOMELESS ( MICK BROSNAN )
– TONIGHT WE HAVE A GUEST SPEAKER……….EDWIN KELLEY
EDWIN TURNED UP AT OUR AGM ON JULY 13. THIS WAS EDWIN’S FIRST APPEARANCE AT AN SJA MEETING. I HAD A BRIEF CHAT AND EDWIN AROUSED MY CURIOSITY.
I LEARNED THAT EDWIN IS A QUALIFIED ACCOUNTANT WHO WAS BORN IN BEGA IN THE EARLY 1950S. HIS PATERNAL GRANDMOTHER WAS BORN IN WOLUMLA, AND HER GRANDFATHER WHO CAME TO AUSTRALIA FROM NORTHERN IRELAND IN 1856 IS BURIED IN THE SOUTH WOLUMLA CEMETERY. I GUESS THAT QUALIFIES EDWIN AS A LOCAL.
EDWIN LEFT THE BEGA VALLEY WHEN HE FINISHED SCHOOL IN BEGA IN 1971. HE HAS SPENT 30 YEARS LIVING IN THE UNITED STATES, AND JUST RECENTLY RETURNED TO HIS HOME TURF.
IN HIS TRAVELS, EDWIN HAS SPENT TIME IN ASIA, EUROPE, AND NORTH AMERICA. HE SPENT SIX MONTHS AS A BUDDHIST MONK IN MYANMAR. HIS TIME IN THE US WAS SPENT RUNNING BUDDHIST ORGANISATIONS THAT TEACH MEDITATION.
CORE TO HIS BUDDHIST TRAINING IS THE ASPIRATION OF BODHICITTA, THE COMMITMENT TO FULLY AWAKEN WITH WISDOM AND COMPASSION FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL SENTIENT BEINGS.
THIS ASPIRATION WOULD BE OF LITTLE BENEFIT IF IT WERE NOT APPLIED IN ACTION. EDWIN SAYS THE APPLICATION OF BODHICITTA COULD WELL BE INTERPRETED AS A FAVOURITE SAYING OF THE SJA…. “WHAT CAN I DO, HOW MAY I HELP?”
SO IT IS NOT SURPRISING THAT EDWIN HAS SOUGHT OUT THE SJA !!
I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO HEAR FROM EDWIN, SO INVITED HIM TO SPEAK TONIGHT.
BY YOUR GRACE, EDWIN WILL SPEAK FOR TEN MINUTES AND THEN ANSWER QUESTIONS FOR FIVE MINUTES.
PLEASE MAKE EDWIN WELCOME.
– GENERAL BUSINESS (CHAIR PLUS ITEMS FROM THE FLOOR)
SJA IS CURRENTLY GOING THROUGH A QUANTUM SHIFT – WE NOW HAVE ‘EMPLOYEES’, A PAYROLL. SOME OF THE MEMBERS OF THE SJA YOUTH GROUP ARE BEING PAID COURTESY OF A GRANT TO BUILD SUSTAINABILITY OF NFPS IN THE BEGA VALLEY THROUGH WORKSHOPS AND SCHOOL VISITS.
ALSO THE HOUSING SUB-GROUP, SIMILARLY VIA A GRANT, ARE ABOUT TO EMPLOY A PERSON TO HELP TOW CARAVANS AND ASSIST ADMINISTER THE BUSINESS SIDE OF GROWING NUMBER OF RENTED HOUSING UNITS THAT THE SJA HAS PURCHASED AND INSTALLED
WE ARE STILL RECEIVING OFFERS OF CARAVANS AND FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR CARAVAN PURCHASES
SINCE LAST MEETING HAVE AWARDED CERTIFICATES OF APPRECIATION FOR KEN VATCHER AND DAVE CROWDEN FOR THEIR BRILLIANT WORK IN PRODUCING THE ANNUAL SJA BENEFIT CONCERTS – COMING UP, NOTE YOUR DIARIES, ON NOVEMBER 26
AND TO ROBYN MORILLAS FOR HER OUTSTANDING WORK AS SJA BOOKKEEPER
WE ARE ALSO ABOUT TO PRESENT A Certificate OF Appreciation TO THE HALL ( ACT ) CHAPTER OF THE ROTARY CLUB, IN RECOGNITION OF THEIR DONATIONS OF CARAVANS FOR THE HOMELESS PEOPLE OF THE BEGA VALLEY.
. THANKS TO MICHELE PATTEN FOR TAKING ON THE TASK OF ORGANISING CERTIFICATES FOR US, AND INDEED DONATING THE FIRST BATCH OF FRAMES
THANKS ALSO TO ANN WYKES (Deputy Chair) WHO HAS TAKEN ON AN UP-DATE AND REPRINT OF SJA BUSINESS CARDS – NEW CARDS ARE ON THE DESK OVER THERE. PLEASE HELP YOURSELVES.
YOUTH GROUP IS NOW OPERATING AS A SJA SUB-GROUP – UP AND RUNNING. JACOB SHIELDS IS THE CONVENOR. THEY ARE GOING GREAT GUNS AND I INTEND ASKING JACOB IF HE MIGHT BE GUEST SPEAKER AT OUR NEXT MEETING NOVEMBER 9. Jacob agreed tp speak at next meeting. Date TBA.
I ENCOURAGE ALL MEMBERS TO THINK ABOUT OBTAINING ‘Working With Children Check’ CERTIFICATES – EASY TO GET. WE HAVE HAD INSTANCES OF MEMBERS NEEDING CERTIFICATES BUT LEAVING IT TOO LATE FOR PROCESSING – YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THEY MIGHT COME IN HANDY.
TIME OF MEETINGS – 7PM BEST? IN ATTENDING SUB-GROUP MEETINGS HAVE NOTED THE GENERAL MEETINGS, AT 7PM ARE THE LATEST STARTING OF ALL. OPEN TO OPINIONS, EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org IF YOU THINK WE SHOULD CONSIDER CHANGING THE TIME OF OUR GENERAL MEETINGS.
OUR ANNUAL FUND RAISING CONCERT COMING UP ON NOVEMBER 26. LAUNCH WILL BE AT WANDERER FESTIVAL SEPTEMBER 29 TO OCTOBER 1. AT THE FESTIVAL OUR CONCERT WILL BE PROMOTED ON THE STAGE AND THE LED SCREENS. THAT WILL BE THE LAUNCH OF OUT ‘IT’S UP TO US’ 2023 CAMPAIGN TO RAISE MONEY FOR THE HOEMLESS OF THE BEGA VALLEY. LAST YEAR’S CAMPAIGN WAS EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL – THE SJA NOW HAS 60 CARAVANS FOR BUSHFIRE VICTIMS AND 20 FOR THE HOMELESS SPREAD AROUND THE VALLEY. WE ALSO HAVE SIX DEMOUNTABLE UNITS FOR THE HOMELESS. THAT MEANS THAT ON ANY GIVEN NIGHT THE SJA IS PROVIDING SHELTER FOR 55 HOMELESS PEOPLE, MOST OF WHO ARE WOMEN AND CHILDREN. THIS, I BELIEVE IS MORE THAN THE COUNCIL OR THE STATE GOVERNMENT DO………AN AMAZING ACHIEVEMENT DRIVEN BY MICK BROSNAN.
SJA EXECUTIVE AND OFFICE HOLDER DETAILS HAVE BEEN UP-DATED AND POSTED ON THE SJA WEBSITE
BIG SHOUT OUT TO THE INDIGENOUS ISSUES SUB-GROUP LED BY OLWEN MORRIS, AND THE BEGA SUB-GROUP AND JO RILEY FITZER AND HELENE GARRETT AND ALL THEIR HELPERS FOR THE AMAZING AMOUNT OF EFFORT THEY ARE PUTTING INTO CAMPAIGNING FOR THE ‘YES’ VOTE . BY ALL MEANS, JOIN THEM ON THE HUSTINGS.
I HAVE BEEN ATTENDING SUB-GROUP MEETINGS. SO AS TO STAY IN TOUCH AND OFFER SUPPORT
CONSIDERING IDEA OF A DEDICATED FUND RAISING SUB-COMMITTEE – I WELCOME YOUR THOUGHTS, AND WILL LIAISE WITH THE EXECUTIVE ABOUT THIS.
KEY COMING EVENTS:
September 17 ‘WALK FOR YES’. THIS SUNDAY AT JIGAMY FARM. 2-4pm A CULTURAL TOUR OF JIGAMY.
MICK BROSNAN IS HELPING TO ORGANISE THIS EVENT AND IS CALLING ON SJA MEMBERS FOR HELP FROM NOON ON. IF YOU ARE PREPARED TO ASSIST PLEASE TEXT MICK.
HIS NUMBER IS 0410 697 229
WANDERER FESTIVAL SEPTEMBER 29 TO OCTOBER 1.
SJA JOINS THE YOUTH GROUP CRUNCH PROJECT AS THE ONLY TWO COMMUNITY STALLS AT THE FESTIVAL.
WE WILL HOST THE LOCAL YES 23 CAMPAIGN PEOPLE IN THE NEW BLUE SJA MARQUEE.
MICK IS SEEKING FOUR OR FIVE PEOPLE TO MAN OUR MARQUEES AND CHAT WITH FESTIVAL GOERS . SET UP TIME WILL BE AFTERNOON OF THURSDAY OCTOBER 28.
AGAIN, PLEASE TEXT MICK IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP OUT WITH THIS.
OCTOBER 7 SATURDAY a dance to raise funds for Social Justice Advocates: (see poster attached)
Pambula Town Hall 5-6.30 pm Family Friendly. All funds raised go to SJA activities. Feel free to share the poster!
“An hour and a half of great music and dancing. There are no steps to learn – just move your body to the beat of the music. Families with children welcome and there is no upward age limit. (Under 16s can attend free of charge but must be accompanied by an adult). Nemo is a great DJ and together with his wife, Lisa, put on a great session. You’ll leave with a big smile on your face, so come and support the Social Justice Advocates of the Sapphire Coast. We’ll be there to dance with you! Wear comfortable clothes and bring a bottle of water”.
For more info go to the Rhythmtree website https://www.rhythmtree.life/
Contact Gavin Bell: 0411 564 120
October 21: CEFE is partnering with SJA to install solar panels onto the roof of the Bega Uniting Church to service our three crisis transitional units .
A fundraising concert is being organised for October 21st at the Bega Uniting Church on the afternoon. Matt Nott is organiser of the entertainment and Prue is bringing together the other matters for this very important event.
BOOK THIS AFTERNOON IN PLEASE
Tell all! . A simple musical feast to raise money – $25 pp. is all being asked .
Nov 9th to 12th, 2023MARSS ( Migrant and Refugee Settlement Services https://marss.org.au/) visit.
Host families required. Contact Gavin Bell email@example.com 0411 564 120
November 26 Fundraising Concert Longstocking/Oaklands. Lineup TBA.
(Tickets online from September 29 @ Humanitix.)
FINALLY……….A CALL OUT TO ALL MEMBERS. THE EXECUTIVE OF THE SJA WORK VERY HARD. WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYBODY WHO IS PREPARED TO HELP OUT IN WAYS BIG OR SMALL. IT IS A GREAT RELIEF TO BE ABLE TO CALL ON PEOPLE FOR SUPPORT. IF YOU ARE PREPARED TO HELP OUT, PLEASE CONTACT ME, OR RUSSELL, OR PETER. THERE IS ALWAYS WORK TO BE DONE AND WE’D LOVE TO BE ABLE TO SPREAD THE LOAD. EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS.
ALSO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE, AS ALWAYS, TO JOIN THE SJA, AND TO MAKE DONATIONS AS THEY SEE FIT. EVERY DOLLAR HELPS US ACHIEVE OUR GOALS IN ADVOCATING FOR LESS WELL OFF IN OUR COMMUNITY.
Olwen Morris informed us that Ray Tynan (formerly Indigenous sub group convener) is on the mend. Great to hear!
– CHAIR THANKS EVERYBODY FOR ATTENDING
Meeting closed :8.23 pm
– NEXT MEETING DATE (CHAIR) To be advised.
Bega Valley Advocates for Timor-Leste
Following the successful Koru Lian Timor tour, we saw the formation of the Belun Musica Cooperative.
Ego Lemos has set up a group in Timor-Leste to support and encourage the development and growth of music and culture. This group is called Belun Musica (“Friends of Music”). We would like to provide the opportunity for those in Australia to be involved in this project.
The project has three main aims:
1. To support Koru Lian Timor Youth Choir as a continuing opportunity for Timor-Leste youth to develop their skills and acquire experience in a professional vocal ensemble.
2. To support the acquisition of musical instruments to be provided to schools in Timor-Leste.
3. To provide scholarships for Timor-Leste students to study music in Australia.
There are two more ideas to explore:
In August 2024 Timor-Leste will host the very first International Permaculture Youth Convergence. The main theme is music and culture. The plan is for Belun Musica to organise and coordinate this event. We are looking to other countries to support this event by contributing various musical ensembles / acts to perform and provide workshops.
4. A long term aim is to establish a dedicated music school in Dili.
We still have to develop a structure, to attract financial and personal support, and also to deliver the above aims. This is a long term project with modest aspirations. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Progress has been made with music scholarships for Timorese students attending Australian schools and conservatoriums. The TL Minister for Culture and Sport has agreed to provide financial support for travel and accommodation for up to 20 students each year. I will be talking to both Lumen Christi and SCAC to each take a student each year for up to 6 months. The plan is for both students to come from Natarbora. We would need BVATL and SJA to support the students both financially and practically.
The International Permaculture Youth Convergence has been confirmed for 26-29 August 2024 in Dare, followed by a cultural festival in Dili 30-31 August. We have a commitment from the Bega choir to attend the event, and for several musicians to provide workshops. So far we have interest from choirs from Ballarat, Castlemaine and the Blue Mountains, and community ensembles from Wollongong. We also have a commitment from several in the permaculture community to attend.
Bega Valley Advocates for Timor-Leste
Education & General Report:
I attended Jo Chapman’s funeral on 17th July and laid a small Timorese flag on her coffin.
Jo was an ex-teacher and one of our foundation members. She held a strong interest in the people of Natarbora until she died at age 97. We greatly appreciated Jo’s valued contributions to Bega Valley Advocates for Timor-Leste. Though she was never able to get to East Timor, her work in PNG gave her an informed perspective.
Thanks to Peter Reid for attending our September meeting to get a background briefing on the group and updates on recent activities.This was valuable.
Circle of Silence screening is tentatively planned for the end of October (Monday 30th). The PictureShow Man has offered to convert our short film of the choir visit to the appropriate format so that it can also be shown.
We have four ongoing scholarships. One Year 3 student will graduate in 2023 and extend her study next year to upgrade to a degree. BVATL was asked by the Natarbora Education Commission to take on a new scholarship next year so in 2024 there will be five active scholarships for teacher training at Baucau Institute.
20th Anniversary of BVATL in 2024 Plans for possible 2024 school visits by BVATL members were formed while meeting with Rigoberto & Nikolas while the choir was out here. This will include 20th anniversary commemoration, sports and cultural day, prizes, materials. We will need extra money for any training centre programs, continuation of sewing and women’s groups activities.
I spoke to Nikolas last week and he said the Commission is pleased about the plans and will set a date in August around exams and other constraints but hopefully in time for the choir and permaculture visits so there will be a strong Australian presence in Timor.
This dry season was continually wet this year on the south coast.
Nikolas, our Timorese Liaison Officer reported:
1. Perma Youth Camp 25-30 July 2023 at Onibuu, Sagadate, Laga, Baucau, a very isolated area with its challenges was going ok. Three candidates from upland areas: Manehat, Barique, and Camedar participated. Our participants learnt many things there, especially about water reservoir work. They’re satisfied, excited and enthusiastic to implement the things they learned.
Chair & Education Co-ordinator
Bega Valley Advocates for Timor-Leste
Subject: NOTES – SJA Housing Meeting 29th
Notes for our meeting.
Acknowledgement of country – thanks to Dave Gallan.
Apologies: Sara Williams , Mahlia Smith macpherson, Kass Fenton
ACTION from the last meeting was to arrange a meeting with the CEO and the Director of Planning – – – – this did happen .
Report from Mick and Roz Hansen formed the basis for the meeting.
Mick, Roz and Ian Richie met with BVSC CEO Anthony MacMahon (A M) and Director of Planning, Community Services and Environment Emily Harrison (E H) on Friday 25th.
Denial still that units were caravans. Still seeking clarification!!
This is ostensibly the critical issue.
Roz carefully went through current legislation but still they feigned denial.
Denial of being able to be registered. RTA made a mistake!!
Discussion of being the only council in the state and seeking other CEOs collaboration on these units . THIS is a key concern for them.
There were concerns about control of a “breakout of units” and the “control” issue was pervasive in discussions including in relation to use as AirB&B .
Question of standards raised by AM vis a vis
Environment/ fit for human habitation.
– documentation has been given of course a year ago and more to come.
AM to seek clarification from NSW Service re the units being able to be registered.
AM, concerned about funding for developing a Local Plan, mentioned going to council to seek support to follow this avenue of implementation for crisis housing with our caravan units .
Blah!! Blah !,,
# MB meeting with Chris Minns and Rose Jackson at lunch really only confirmed that
– our council was lagging behind others esp Shoalhaven.
– our council has the legislation needed to make a decision.
– likelihood of any direct or relevant action related to legislation and wording of the relevant caravan legislation , is unlikely even in the distant future.
** that the crisis caravan units issue is far broader than the Bega Church site.
Private community support such as from Ian Richie has become paramount.
We need private property support and we also want to move away from ” segregation ” in caravan parks.
We have another privately installed unit ready in Bermagui awaiting resolution by the council.
** That the doubt as has followed Ian R about air B&B is wrong and he in fact is signing an MOU with the SJA with the intention of bringing his unit into the management committee’s operation.
Discussion from our meeting concluded –
** that a time frame should be set for the council to check their own legal status and the issues above.
This to be conveyed to AM and EH around community demands , funding and expectations with accommodation for our homeless.
** That this time frame be made public through media and Facebook etc.
ACTION: Mick will draft and share with Peter Reid and Gavin Bell prior to delivery .
** That we start on the first stage of our long projected landscape works.
This will take the form of initial planting and some paths.
To be continued as we see fit.
This to show that we are ready to move on AND to ameliorate the suspected negative attitude to the aesthetic of our units.
Group agreed this to be positive and will make a sound statement to all.
NB The solar installation soon to be undertaken will be similarly positive and obviously beneficial to many and the environment.
ACTION: Mick will activate with discussions with Church through Dave Gallan .
Meeting ended with the choir needing the Church so a quick mention was made of
1. The exciting and positive initiative being organised with member Jeff Knowles , introduced to us by Pete Gorton some time back.
The training of members around the audit of buildings will be lead by Jeff.
This will start later on September when be arranged with Wendy Wait and others interested.
Once trained we hope to be able to assess our units and rentals etc for their capacity to minimise such problems as heat loss and retention.
This a positive way to be able to advise folks as to how to address heating and cooling on a far more cost effective manner .
2. CEFE is partnering with SJA to install solar panels onto the roof of the Bega Uniting Church to service our three crisis transitional units.
A fund raising coνcert is being organised for October 21st at the Church on the afternoon. Matt Nott is organiser of the entertainment and Prue is bringing together the other matters for this very important event.
BOOK THIS AFTERNOON IN PLEASE
Tell all . A simple musical feast to raise money – $25 pp. is all being asked.
ACTION: Help from all members sought both in attendance and help on the day please
3. ACTION from the last meeting to get another two sites at the Reflections caravan Park in Pambula for our crisis transitional caravan units – – – – – HAS SUCCEEDED.
Two more sites available from mid January . But if circumstances permit earlier in th least months of this year.
Other items, esp the furniture item and the advocacy were not addressed.
So if folks wish to send me notes on other items related to housing I will respond and ensure they are a part of the next meeting which will be slated at the moment for Wednesday 27 th Sept.
—— Being extremely hectic around Wanderers this to be confirmed folks.
Thank you all for your support and contribution.
The last meeting of Indigenous Issues group was held on 3 August.
Jacob Shields attended & spoke about his travels with Crunch Time Australia showing his film ‘Crunch Time’ in venues along the east coast of NSW.
Jacob also put forward an idea for discussion to assist the Yes campaign. During one of the meetings he noticed a man sitting on a chair holding a jar. Jacob approached & began speaking to him but the man remained silent until he opened the jar and handed Jacob a piece of paper explaining he was remaining silent in support of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders who had no voice. Jacob advised he would develop this idea to possibly use in the Yes campaign.
Yes volunteers have been campaigning in markets & street stalls in every area.
Merchandise has been sold & signs & badges distributed with more ordered as we run out! On 16 July we joined with Bega SJA to letter drop around Bega.
Shane Howard from Goanna performed to a full house at Twyford Hall in support of the Yes campaign on 16 July. We had a merchandise stall there.
On 2 September we held a successful event at Gulaga Room, Bega Civic Centre. Speaker was Glenn Loughrey, Wiradjuri man, artist, writer & Anglican priest who is passionate about supporting the Yes campaign. Fiona Boyes entertained with some of her songs to finish the afternoon.
We are hoping for a big attendance on Sunday 17 September for a Walk for Yes at Jigamy. Meet at 2pm in the car park near the entrance then walk to a venue where Matthew Knott will arrange us into a human sign. There will also be music & a sausage sizzle. Should be fun!
ΜIGRANTS AND REFUGEE SUB-GROUP
Summary of the Migrants and Rfeugees Sub Group Activity since the AGM:
1) A request posted via Facebook for interested folk to join the Sub Group – nil response at this stage, I think I will rely on direct contact for specific events when needed.
I have directly contacted Andy Zarins and James Parker and had meetings / emails. Andy is a very well connected Muso from Candelo of Latvian background who is very keen to get involved.
James is a newly arrived Journo for the Bega District News combo who is also passionate and will be great for publicity.
We will try and incorporate a singing / dancing / music component to the Refugee visit in November
2) Ross Williams has contacted me to encourage a meeting with the Sapphire Coast Aged Care Facilities (SCCAC) – see below. In addition he is keen to have a travelling art show visit the area probably through the Bega Art Galley and Ian Dawson – I will encourage and hold his hand with this.
3) I met with Julie Evans, CEO of SCCAC last Friday for a coffee. She is very process driven, keen to get involved with the Advocates and answers emails very promptly.
She is fully aware of our involvement with Bega Rotary with supplying furniture and has informed me the new Migrant Workers are now moving towards private rentals after being given assistance by SCCAC initially.
We have discussed:
Finding volunteers to create a Workers Choir / Singing Troupe – Paul Dion has been contacted about this.
Another couple from Bald Hills, Nemo and Lisa. Mick you would recall we delivered furniture to get them started. They are just starting a dance / music program at Pambula Town Hall on Saturdays which would also be ideal. I’ll develop that idea in the short term.
Finding a volunteers / to drive their mid size Bus for resident outings but also for excursions for the workers. This could be as simple as a picnic at Pambula Beach or the River Mouth, a visit to Potoroo, Tathra, The Bega Cheese Heritage Centre etc etc.
I have reached out to Andy Russell a Bus driver with Sapphire Coast Buslines to see if he knows anyone with time from his list of contacts.
Other items of interest included Driving Lessons, one on one social connections, a BBQ / self catered social event at Ford Oval Nov 17, which we could attend as guests, and an open invite to all to get involved with the Bega Multicultural Centre with Cayce on a Friday between 12 and 3pm. I have also given an open invitation for them to get involved in the MARSS Visit Nov 9 to 12th.
Julie Evans is to request from the workers areas of interest for them.
4) MARSS visit Nov 9th to 12th, 2023.
Sapphire Coast Buslines quote received and accepted $4,400 ish
Wolumla Public School and LCCC locked in.
5 Host families confirmed, I will finalise the 13 to 14, plus support drivers by the end of August.
Mick to lock in Nathan Lygon for the smoking ceremony if possible.
Pambula Life Saving Club, Pambula Rec Reserve, and Rotary cooking facilities and Beryl to be confirmed.
5) Applied for $45,500 NSW State Government Grant for our Migrant Activities.
What can I do? How can I help?
Now go out and enjoy this beautiful day!!!!!
Many projects by Environment group members have been brought to fruition or are in the pipe line. Thanks to Ann Wykes, Susan Mcgee, Toby Jennings, Kate Liston, Jacob Shields,Janine Houghton and Jean Pollock for all you do.
Our Environment group supports:
Climate actions: thru emails, petitions, education, being a member of various conservation groups: Australian Conservation Foundation, GreenPeace, Australian Marine conservation society, 350.org, Lock the gate,GetUp, Climate council, Environmental Defenders Office, Bob Brown Foundation, Australian Parents for Climate action… just to name a few, and personal donations to various organisations.
Some of the current environmental campaigns we support include:
- Save native forests: Bob Brown foundation: by staying informed, signing and sharing petitions
- VIC forests – End to Native forest logging 1st January 2024. Dan Andrew’s brought forward by 6 years. This decision by the Victorian government is a clear demonstration of the power of the people. Now these forests need the VIC government to establish a Great Forest National Park to protect these forests forever.
- 350.org Stopping fossil fuel subsidies by the big 4 banks. CommBank has only recently ruled out direct finance for all new and expanded oil and gas projects as well as some critical infrastructure like pipelines to new oil and gas fields. This took 10 years of community action. Now is the time to pressure your bank and especially ANZ, NAB and Westpac and to check out how environmentally friendly your Superannuation actually is.
- The proposed Clive Palmers coal mine just 10km from the Great Barrier Reef has been rejected! Again people power stopped this development.
Our Local support:
- There is a Kelp farm proposal for Disaster Bay area and an information session and research workshop meeting in Eden on Thursday 14th September.4.30pm-7pm Eden RSL Memorial. You need to register. Several members attending. Check out SWAMP (Sustainable Water actions Pambula Merimbula) for more information. Pros and cons of Seaweed farming will hopefully be discussed.
- Inappropriate development in Beowa National Park: The Exciting update is that it seems that National Park do not have the funds for building the huts at Hegarty and Mowarry Point, so will be only upgrading the track and building sleeping platforms at these sites. Another great people Power story. Will keep you posted about all of this as the facts become clearer.
- We continue to Support local enviro groups through working bees and tree plantings at: Potoroo, Panboola, Clean Curalo, Black Duck Foods
- Our Youth climate action group has been busy: with 2 working bees at Potoroo Palace and a weekly rubbish clean up.
- Pete Gorton is organising a professional development day: energy home audit training
- Yes vote support and advocacy- emails, petitions, sharing on social media, walk, markets
- CRUNCH time support, advocacy, meetings
- Organising and consulting with Longstocking and Oakland’s for a Waste free SJA fundraiser event in November.
- Wanderer festival liaison with waste free organisers and volunteering on Green Waste team.
- Pambula Solar initiative: Janine and Jean: are waiting for Essential Energy to appoint a support person.
- BVS- waste Kate Liston and Toby Jennings attended a meeting with BVS new Waste Manager and others to work on how to stop litter in our community.
- Coffee: Sue McGee has coffee for sale. Also available at various businesses around the shire: Pambula: Theos, Merimbula: Tourist information centre, Bega: Kristy McBains office and Bega Realty. Please buy this coffee in support of SJA and Timor Leste.
SJA Environment Convenor
SJA YOUTH GROUP, REPORT FOR GENERAL MEETING, 14th SEP 2023
To the delight of all, the SJA Youth Group has been formally established as a sub-group. The group’s aim is
to strengthen and support new or existing youth-led community projects. The Youth Group won an FTRRR
grant which allows 4 of its members to work on a paid basis pursuing the above aim.Jacob Shields is acting
convenor. See below an overview of the YG’s activities:
SJAYG auspices CTA, which is an independent youth-advocacy group currently working across wider NSW
to empower young people and create change in housing and environment.
● South Coast Film tour a major success. Connected with 300+ people across the NSW Southern
Coast screening youth-film and running workshops.
● Planning underway for upcoming ‘Pleading to Parliament’ Youth Delegation
○ Call for action on housing and environment at NSW state parliament, with bus and
accommodation provided for young attendees
● River of Art exhibition @ Mogo – curated by member Poppy Collins. A beautiful celebration of
community resilience and awareness raising for CTA. On display from 16-22 Sep.
● Wanderer Festival. Secured a stall next to the main SJA stall. Fundraising through CTA
merchandise making, iced chais, mini op-shop. Activities on empowerment and housing, interviews
with youth for our social media/website/documentary.
SJA Youth Climate Action Group
A sort of ‘sub-sub-group’ working on environmental issues in the Bega Valley. 15 young members, aged
17-25 years old. Toby Jennings is the current team lead.
● South-East Community Litter Action Group. Toby attending meetings and working on Shire wide
strategies to combat waste
● Black Duck Foods youth working bee on the horizon. Senior SJA support needed with Bus.
Collaboration with highschools.
● Similar Brogo Bush Heritage working bee in the pipeline
● Potoroo Palace Working bee
○ 2 x working bees conducted in August.
○ Awaiting to hear back from Mick about the picnic tables working bee.
○ Alexandra has approached us eager for us to do some renovation work on a camp kitchen
for live-in volunteers.
● 24hr Row for Mental Health was a success! Jack, Heath, Lochie and Toby rowed together for 1hr of
the 24hrs row raising funds for mental health workshops in local communities.
● Weekly Rubbish Clean Ups
○ Every Tuesday the group targets litter hotspots. The great efforts and sad amount of
rubbish posted to social media every time.
○ Sea Shepherd has donated proper clean-up bags.
Wapengo Wetland Restoration and Women Empowerment
● Project lead Poppy Collins has been coordinating at pace across the community and on 11th Nov is
looking forward to the first women’s day and bush-regen working bee at a Wetland in Wapengo with
high cultural and environmental significance.
Tura Late Night Libraries
● A monthly youth run night at Tura Beach Library which has now shifted under the auspices of the
SJA YG. 20-30 young attendees on the last Friday of every month. The LNL working group puts on
a range of activities and hosts a potluck dinner. 1 year anniversary of LNL this month!
Long term sustainability of Youth-Group
● Early next term (mid October) Jacob and Chair Pete G will meet with High School principals across
the Valley in the first phase of establishing a pan-school SJA network and advocacy group, from
which the next generation of SJA YG workers will be cultivated in a leadership training program
SJA YOUTH CLIMATE ACRTION GROUP UPDATE Update – 11/09/23 – By Toby Jennings
- MEMBERS: 15 young people, aged 17-25 years old.
- SECLAG – South-East Community Litter Action Group.
- Toby has been attending SECLAG meetings alongside Kate Liston, Garry Hunter from Clean Curalo Eden and Peter Whiter. This newly formed group is passionate about working alongside BVSC to tackle the problem of plastic waste littering our community and polluting our waterways.
- The group met with BVSC newly appointed waste manager and waterways officer on Monday 11/09/2023. Outcomes from the meeting include sharing and spreading positive waste information throughout personal and possibly SJA social media networks, connecting with other similar waste organizations up and down the coast, applying for environmental grants to secure funding to tackle waste in schools, sorting rubbish from beach cleanups and taking photos/data of the main culprits (e.g. McDonalds, Zappo lollies e.t.c.) then holding those companies accountable for their waste.
- BLACK DUCK FOODS
- Have sent enquiry to B.D.F. volunteer coordinator and Chris (manager) about Working Bee, and asking about a working bee on the weekend. Waiting to hear back.
- BUSH HERITAGE
- Have sent an enquiry to the Volunteer coordinator about SJA x Bush Heritage Brogo Volunteer day, waiting to hear back from them.
- POTAROO PALACE WORKING BEE
- 2 x working bees conducted in August.
- Awaiting to hear back from Mick about the picnic tables working bee.
- Alexandra has approached us eager for us to do some renovation work on a camp kitchen for live in volunteers.
- 24HR ROW FOR MENTAL HEALTH
- Was a success! Jack, Heath, Lochie and Toby rowed together for 1 hr of the 24 hrs row raising funds for mental health workshops in local communities.
- SEA SHEPHERD
- Sea Shepherd have reached out offering us some sea shepherd litter cleanup bags for our beach cleanups. Will post to Toby this week!
- SOCIAL MEDIA:
- Rubbish clean-ups: each Tuesday 4pm let us know if you would like to join us!
- Advertising Poppys Women’s planting day
- Zoes waste free video tips: Instagram
- YOUTH FORUM – BUSH AND US:
- Some of our members attended Jacobs ‘Bush and Us Youth Forum’ to gather ideas and opinions about an upcoming project. Then had delicious Norwegian Waffles for Brunch!
- POSITION AS LEADER OF YOUTH CLIMATE ACTION GROUP:
- Toby is concerned that he might not have the time to give the SJA YCAG leadership role the attention it deserves. He will trial doing both full-time work and the role for a fortnight starting Wednesday 13/09/2023 and will report back his intentions at the next youth meeting.